Happy February! Was it just me or did January seem to go on forever? February is one of my favorite months, not just because of valentines day but because it seems as if every store from gourmet bakeries to gas stations carries something that is red velvet. I almost OD on Red Velvet cupcakes in February!
I wanted to invent a recipe for something this February that didn’t involve red velvet. I love cookies, strawberries, and champagne… so why not come up with Strawberries and Champagne cookies?! These cookies are moist and delicious, with hint of champagne. These would be perfect for an adult valentines day party or just a Tuesday hanging out with your love.
Strawberries & Champagne Cookies
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup champagne
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup finely chopped strawberries
- ¼ cup Sugar in the raw
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat the shortening and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer and slowly pour in the champagne. Mix in the baking powder, and stir in flour to make dough. Stir in the strawberries. If dough seems too runny, an upto 3 tablespoons flour.
Using a cookie scoop, drop cookies onto parchment or silicon lined baking sheet, Sprinkle with sugar in the raw and bake for 15 minutes or until edges brown slightly. Enjoy!
- After washing strawberries, make sure they are very well patted dry. I let my strawberries sit in a bowl for a half hour to make sure no extra moisture was added to these cookies.
- Any champagne will do, even a cheap bottle. I used a bottle I bought at Trader Joes for $6.99.
- Open the champagne and let it breathe for a few hours (allowing it to become flat) before adding to the batter.